- This event has passed.
Rise N Learn Training: How Psychotherapists Can Help Children and Their Families Cope with Traumatic News
May 7, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Identify negative emotional, psychological and behavioral effects and symptoms children can experience when exposed to traumatic, violent news in the media or in their communities.
- Describe helpful guidelines on how psychotherapists and other caregivers including parents can have developmentally appropriate conversations with children to facilitate positive coping and emotional adjustment to hearing or living with traumatic news.
- Learn guidelines and strategies on how parents and other caregivers can effectively regulate children’s access and exposure to media based on developmental stages.
- Review guidelines on how psychotherapists and parents can have developmentally appropriate and culturally informed conversations with children about race, racism and social justice.
- Discuss benefits of caregivers getting their own support to digest traumatic news.
Pre-registration is required: cost is $10.00. Register at this link.
For more information about upcoming trainings or if you are interested in being a presenter, please contact Vanessa Matheny (CMHB of Oak Park Township) at 708-358-8855 or Tandra Rutledge (Riveredge Hospital) at 708-488-4970 or Fatima Villasenor (Streamwood Behavioral Healthcare system) at 773-416-6411.