CONTACT: Gavin Morgan, Oak Park Township Manager,
The Illinois Township Association of General Assistance Caseworkers (ITAGAC) selected Oak Park Township as “2021 Township of the Year”. This award will be presented to the Township on December 1st at an all-staff meeting. Township Manager Gavin Morgan is grateful that the Township will receive this honor. “Over the past twenty months, Oak Park Township has taken on a leadership role in the community’s response to the pandemic, social unrest, and economic challenges. We have discovered a balance between the stability of a government institution serving our community for almost 120 years and the entrepreneurial spirit necessary to continue serving the most vulnerable through times of great uncertainty.”
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Oak Park Township continued to provide effective and efficient services. With its proactive staff, volunteers, and partner agencies, the Township has:
- Expanded the Home Delivered Meals program and created a “drive-thru” program to distribute meals to older adults.
- Provided case management via telephone, video, and in-person for youth, older adults, and low-income individuals.
- Held virtual substance misuse education meetings held and hosted two community events to safely dispose of unwanted medications. These strategies have the goal of lowering the incidence of youth substance abuse.
- Facilitated regular online meetings with local and regional social service agencies including schools, park district, health care, and mental health organizations to identify community needs and develop and execute effective plans and collaborations to match services with vulnerable residents.
- Processed property assessment appeals through online appointments.
Mr. Morgan summarized these actions, saying, “Thanks to our dedicated, creative and hard-working staff, we have lived out our Oak Park Township vision, ‘To be a well-known and respected community partner and the leading provider of proactive, responsive and relevant supportive services for all residents at every stage of life.' "
The Illinois Township Association of General Assistance Caseworkers purpose is to educate General Assistance staff and to ensure consistent implementation of General Assistance programs throughout the State of Illinois. They strive to increase knowledge on available resources to assist residents facing hardship. Currently, there are 76 members of the ITAGAC. Mary Jo Imperato from Hanover Township is the current president of the ITAGAC.
Oak Park Township assists residents by providing a variety of governmental services and resources, with a special emphasis on advocacy and partnerships in human services that benefit youth and senior citizens as well as mentally ill and financially struggling community members. For more information, please visit https://oakparktownship.org/.
# # #