February 11, 2020 Approved Minutes
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE OAK PARK TOWNSHIP BOARD OF TRUSTEES HELD TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2020, AT THE OAK PARK TOWNSHIP HALL, 105 SOUTH OAK PARK AVENUE, OAK PARK, ILLINOIS
CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
Clerk White called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. On the call of the roll the following were present: Trustees Margaret Trybus, Ade Onayemi, Michelle Mbekeani-Wiley, Eric Davis and Clerk Gregory White. Township Manager Gavin Morgan and Attorney John Garofalo were also present.
Trustee Davis moved to allow Supervisor Clarmarie Keenan to participate in the meeting via speakerphone. Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Trustee Davis moved to approve the Minutes of the January 28, 2020 Regular Board of Trustees Meeting, January 28, 2020 Executive Session Meeting, and Township bills for the period January 15, 2020 through February 7, 2020. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF RESOLUTION RECOGNIZING THE SERVICE OF SHAWN J. LEWIS
Trustee Davis moved to approve RESOLUTION 2020-01 COMMENDING SHAWN J. LEWIS FOR SERVICE TO OAK PARK TOWNSHIP, a copy of which is attached to and made a part of these minutes. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF EMPLOYEE CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
Board members discussed the proposed Confidentiality Agreement, which was explained at previous meetings by Manager Morgan. After discussion, Trustee Trybus moved to approve the OAK PARK TOWNSHIP CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT, a copy of which is attached to and made a part of these minutes. Trustee Davis seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
CONSIDERATION OF EARLY RETIREMENT INCENTIVE
Manager Morgan shared a recommendation from Staff regarding an Early Retirement Incentive. Over several months, Township Staff has investigated the potential to implement the IMRF Early Retirement Incentive, and concluded that the ERI would not result in sufficient salary savings. The Board concurred with the Staff recommendation not to implement an ERI program at this time.
OFFICE MANAGER/HR SPECIALIST POSITION
Manager Morgan shared copies of a job description for an Office Manager/Human Resources Specialist position, which would replace and combine the two former separate positions. Essential job functions were listed, along with a responsibility for Township Project Management. The position will be posted for applicants in the near future.
APPOINTMENT OF YOUTH SERVICES COMMITTEE MEMBER
Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley, liaison to the YSC, moved to appoint Jen Olsen to a full three-year term on the Youth Services Committee. Trustee Trybus seconded the motion which passed unanimously. Board members were advised that there will be two more vacancies on the Committee and that a posting will be done seeking applicants.
- Copies of The National Community Survey for Oak Park, Illinois were shared with Board members, along with highlights of findings. Township services received a 61% approval from respondents. The survey is performed every two years by the Village of Oak Park and is available on its website.
- A draft of a proposed Employee Internet, Social Media and Email Policy was given to Board members for their review and input to the Manager and Supervisor for approval at a future meeting.
- Senior Services Director Pamela Mahn and Prevention Services Manager, Kelly O’Connor were in attendance at the meeting to speak on Township participation in the Park District’s proposed Community Recreation Center. Manager Morgan shared a recommendation from Director Mahn and Youth Services Director, Megan Traficano for shared utilization of two offices, conference rooms, and shared spaces in the proposed Community Recreation Center. Participation would allow for expansion of Township services to residents we are currently not reaching, and to provide on-site support for residents and Park District staff. Manager O’Connor spoke in support of Township participation, citing the location as a plus for Township visibility, family programming, and prevention services to the community. Board members concurred that a memo of understanding with the Park District would be the logical next step at this time. Manager Morgan and Attorney Garofalo will draft a memo to present to Park District officials and report back to the Board on negotiations.
TOWNSHIP MANAGER’S REPORT
Manager Morgan shared the following with Board members:
- A project updating all Township job descriptions is under way.
- Township departments are preparing budget study sheets prior to the Financial Advisory Committee meeting on February 20.
- Renewal of employee health insurance plans with IPBC is under way, with slight cost increases.
- Bids are still being investigated for one Security provider to cover the two Township buildings with an improved system.
- IT services are being investigated for improvements, particularly Microsoft Office 365 for all Township computer systems.
- Marketing interns are being considered for Township brochures and public relations updates.
Supervisor Keenan reported on the recent Council of Governments Meeting, and the IGOV sponsored public forum on “The Future of Taxation In Oak Park” held on February 1.
Trustee Onayemi moved to enter Executive Session at 8:20 p.m. to discuss a personnel matter. Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
The Board returned to open session at 8:37 p.m.
FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER
Supervisor Keenan expressed serious concern over the costs to the taxpayers for Township participation in the proposed PDOP Community Recreation Center.
The next meeting of the Oak Park Township Board of Trustees will be a Regular Board of Trustees Meeting at 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, February 25, 2020, at the Oak Park Township Hall, 105 S. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park, IL.
Trustee Trybus moved to adjourn at 8:47 p.m. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by
and recorded in the office of
Gregory White, Township Clerk