Effective March 16, 2020
As the situation regarding COVID-19 (coronavirus) evolves, with new developments occurring daily, please be assured that the health and safety of our clients, community, staff and volunteers remains our top priority. While we have no plans to shut down Oak Park Township operations at this time, this message is intended to provide an update on the Township’s response.
The Township continues to monitor the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and the Village of Oak Park Public Health Department (VOP) closely. Please keep in mind that the current situation is extremely fluid, and guidance from health officials may change quickly. Out of an abundance of caution, Oak Park Township is taking the following steps for the safety of staff, clients, and the community:
- We have postponed or suspended all group activities at the 105 S. Oak Park Avenue (Youth Services, Assessor Services, Prevention Services, General Assistance and Administration) and 130 S. Oak Park Avenue (Senior Services) buildings.
- We are doing our best to maintain contact with our regular program participants and to continue providing services where we can.
- Although our Senior Congregate Meals program has been suspended, we are continuing to provide meals to participants on a “to go” first-come-first-served basis at the Senior Services building, 130 S. Oak Park Avenue.
- We are continuing to maintain our Home Delivered Meals program, serving between 65 and 85 older adults on a daily basis. Our staff is in contact with all clients in accordance with all suggested health and wellness guidelines.
- Property Assessment Appeals appointments have been transitioned to phone appointments. Please call 708-383-8005 to request appeal assistance. Residents may also visit the Cook County Assessor website at https://www.cookcountyassessor.com/online-appeals.
- Transportation: In addition to the above steps, we are having our vehicles and facilities deep cleaned and directing staff to take other preventative measures. Our drivers are still providing curb-to-curb service for older residents and adult individuals with disabilities upon request. The Transportation Department may be reached at 708-383-4806.
- Community Partnerships: We are in contact with our community partners including the Village of Oak Park, District 200, District 97, Oak Park Public Library and the Park District as well as other agencies to keep informed and direct residents to helpful and accurate resources.In the meantime, as we all go through this together (with the appropriate degree of social distance), we encourage you take the following steps to slow the spread of the virus:
- Stay home at any sign of sickness, such as cough, fever, shortness of breath, or other flu-like symptoms.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cough and sneeze in the crook of your elbow, or a tissue, then throw that tissue in the trash and wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
Finally, here are some links to credible information:
- Dial 1-800-889-3931 or email SICK@ILLINOIS.GOVto have all your COVID-19 questions answered by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- See resources from the Oak Park Health Department.
- Get updates from the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Coping With Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks - from SAMHSA
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - Managing Stress and Anxiety During COVID-19
- Health Connection Hub (The HUB), partially funded through the Community Mental Health Board of Oak Park Township:The HUB is a closed-loop referral database that helps connect community members to the behavioral health and other social services that they need. Learn more and search for services by zip code at www.healthconnectionhub.org.