MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE OAK PARK TOWNSHIP BOARD OF TRUSTEES HELD TUESDAY, JANUARY 28, 2020, AT THE OAK PARK TOWNSHIP HALL, 105 SOUTH OAK PARK AVENUE, OAK PARK, ILLINOIS
CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
Clerk White called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. On the call of the roll the following were present: Trustees Ade Onayemi, Michelle Mbekeani-Wiley, Eric Davis and Clerk Gregory White. Township Manager Gavin Morgan and Attorney John Garofalo were also present.
Trustee Davis moved to allow Supervisor Keenan and Trustee Margaret Trybus participate in the meeting via speakerphone. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Trustee Davis moved to approve the Minutes of the January 14, 2020 Regular Board of Trustees Meeting, and January 14, 2020 Executive Session Meeting. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously, except for Trustee Trybus, who abstained because she was not present for the meetings.
APPROVAL OF FY2021 BOARD MEETING SCHEDULE
Trustee Davis moved to approve the FY21 Board Meeting Calendar, a copy of which is attached to and made a part of these minutes. Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
FY21 BUDGET PLANNING
Board members discussed a memorandum from Finance Director Lee Howard with information on Budget planning for FY2021, including dates, department outcomes, goals and initiatives, and other relevant information in the formation of the Township budgets. Manager Morgan requested Board input and comments on the memorandum as he and the staff begin Budget preparations.
APPROVAL OF COMPLIANCE CHECK AGREEMENT WITH VOP
SPF Coordinator Kelly O’Connor was present to answer questions from Board members regarding the 2nd proposed Compliance Check of Village liquor licensees. She explained the purposes and procedures of the proposed agreement.
After discussion, Trustee Davis moved to approve the INTERGOVERNMENTAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE VILLAGE OF OAK PARK AND OAK PARK TOWNSHIP FOR COMPLIANCE CHECKS OF LIQUOR LICENSEES, a copy of which is attached to and made a part of these minutes. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF TRANSITIONAL CARE COORDINATION PROPOSAL
Senior Services Director Pamela Mahn presented a recommendation to the Board for approval of Transitional Care Coordination for seniors through West Suburban Hospital. This would require hiring an MSW transitional care coordinator to serve all eligible participants at West Suburban. The Township would be reimbursed per the terms of the contract.
Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley then moved to approve the TRANSITIONAL CARE COORDINATION AGREEMENT with West Suburban Hospital. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
Manager Morgan reported that he is investigating early retirement incentive with the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, for certain long-term employees.
Manager Morgan also request Board members review and provide input on a proposed Confidentiality Agreement, for approval at the next Board meeting.
Increased benefits for part-time employees is another topic being investigated by the Township Manager and Gallagher Insurance. Manager Morgan will report back to the Board with possible options.
Parking shortages at the 105 Lot were discussed. Additional options for employee parking are being discussed, especially with increased parking demands for the upcoming reassessment appeals period.
TOWNSHIP MANAGER’S REPORT
Manager Morgan shared the following with Board members:
- He met with Greg Kolar of the Financial Advisory Committee to review Township Budget preparations prior to the Board’s review.
- The Township is seeking security bids for one provider for its two buildings.
- Raheem Young has been hired as the new Youth Interventionist and assumed his duties earlier this month.
- Contract requests for funding have been submitted by local agencies to Township agencies for YSC consideration.
- The Annual Volunteer Breakfast is scheduled for Monday, April 13 at the Carleton Hotel.
- Township Senior Services recently received a $9,000 grant for technology upgrades from the Illinois Department on Aging. They are expecting get another grant for $25,000 also for technology upgrades.
Supervisor Keenan reported the following items to the Board:
- Employees have given positive feedback on the January 17 Recognition event at PinStripes. They thanked the Board for payment of transportation to and from the event. The Supervisor thanked April Dugal for planning the event.
- Staff is working on a public statement noting Township services unique to local citizens and their needs.
- Youth Services Committee interviews of applicants are being scheduled in the near future.
- IGOV is cooperating with a public forum “The Future Of Taxation” on February 1, at Percy Julian Middle School.
Clerk White reported the following items to the Board:
- Election Judges are needed for the March 17 Primary Election. More information is available at the County Clerk’s website cookcountyclerk.com.
- Board members names have been submitted on the Statement of Economic Interests list and filed with the Cook County Clerk.
- Three questions for Advisory Referenda have already been submitted for the Annual Town Meeting Agenda on April 14. The Clerk also reviewed the statutory requirements and procedures for the Agenda.
Trustee Davis moved to enter Executive Session at 8:19 p.m. to discuss a personnel matter. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
The Board returned to open session at 8:46 p.m.
The next meeting of the Oak Park Township Board of Trustees will be a Regular Board of Trustees Meeting at 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, February 11, 2020, at the Oak Park Township Hall, 105 S. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park, IL.
Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley moved to adjourn at 8:46 p.m. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by
and recorded in the office of
Gregory White, Township Clerk