MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE OAK PARK TOWNSHIP BOARD OF TRUSTEES HELD TUESDAY, AUGUST 20, 2019, AT OAK PARK TOWNSHIP HALL, 105 SOUTH OAK PARK AVENUE, OAK PARK, ILLINOIS
CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
Supervisor Keenan called the meeting to order at 7:56 p.m. On the call of the roll the following were present: Supervisor Clarmarie Keenan, Trustees Ade Onayemi, Margaret Trybus, and Clerk Gregory White. Township Manager Gavin Morgan and Attorney John Garofalo were also present. Trustee Onayemi moved to allow Trustee Michelle Mbekeani-Wiley to participate in the meeting via speakerphone. Trustee Trybus seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF CONSENT AGENDA
Trustee Trybus moved to approve the Consent Agenda, including the Minutes of the July 16 Regular Board of Trustees Meeting, and Township bills for the period July 13, 2019 through August 16, 2019. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF AMENDMENT TO BOARD PERSONNEL POLICY
Manager Morgan shared a memorandum with Board members citing the need for clarity on the timing of administering criminal background checks. He recommended adding “criminal history” as a protected status.
Trustee Trybus then moved to amend the Board Personnel Policy Equal Employment Section to include criminal history as a protected status. Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
CONSIDERATION OF YOUTH SERVICES DATABASE PURCHASE
Board members discussed a memorandum from Youth Services Director Megan Traficano and Youth Interventionist Supervisor Sara Marx recommending that Youth Services, specifically the Youth Interventionist Program, transition to the use of KaleidaCare, a Case Management and Reporting Software Solution database to store client and program information. Board members had several questions about the program and decided to delay action on the proposal at this time. Mr. Morgan agreed to research the proposal further and report back to the Board at the next meeting.
APPROVAL OF SENIOR SERVICES PART-TIME CASE MANAGER
Board members discussed a memorandum from Senior Services Director Pamela Mahn recommending the addition of a part-time case manager to meet increased additional duties required by the Illinois Department on Aging. The projected expense for this position is $37,000 per year, but would be offset by a projected increase in revenue for IDOA assessments of $45,000 annually.
Trustee Trybus moved to approve the addition of a part-time Senior Services Case Manager. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
- Manager Morgan shared information on purchasing cell phones for Township use by Board members. The concept appears favorable in light of Freedom of Information Act requirements. Mr. Morgan agreed to further research and recommendations.
- The Township’s new website is now up and running. Board members were asked for their input on the revised site.
- Board members had a preliminary discussion on the Township’s annual levy, in light of growth statistics and the current financial picture.
TOWNSHIP MANAGER’S REPORT
Township Manager Gavin Morgan reported the following items to the Board:
- After research and a salary survey, Township bus drivers will now receive $17 per hour.
- The OPRF Community Foundation is now the fiscal agent for Township grants.
- The State grant for underage drinking prevention has been extended to 2020 and is $94,000. SPF Director Kelly O’Connor will be giving a presentation on the new marijuana law and its implications for Illinois.
Supervisor Keenan reported the following items to the Board:
- The recent Youth Services “Back to School” drive for supplies resulted in 117 students and families receiving backpacks filled with school supplies. The families expressed their gratitude and an email from a mother was shared with the Board, acknowledging the kindness of donors and the Township’s effort.
- Professional Development presenters and costs are being explored for Township staff.
Trustee Onayemi moved to enter Executive Session to discuss a personnel issue at 8:51 p.m. Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
The Board returned to open session at 9:17 p.m.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Trustee Onayemi moved to approve the Minutes of the July 16, 2019 Executive Session Minutes. Trustee Trybus seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
The next meeting of the Oak Park Township Board of Trustees will be a Regular Board of Trustees Meeting, at 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 10, 2019, at the Oak Park Township Hall, 105 S. Oak Park Ave., Oak Park, IL.
Trustee Trybus moved to adjourn at 9:18 p.m. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by
and recorded in the office of
Gregory White, Township Clerk