MINUTES OF THE PUBLIC HEARING ON ALL TENTATIVE BUDGETS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2020 AND REGULAR MEETING OF THE OAK PARK TOWNSHIP BOARD OF TRUSTEES HELD TUESDAY, JUNE 18, 2019, AT THE OAK PARK TOWNSHIP HALL,105 SOUTH OAK PARK AVENUE, OAK PARK, ILLINOIS
CALL TO ORDER
Supervisor Keenan called the Public Hearing to order at 7:07 p.m. There being no public comments or questions, the Supervisor then closed the Public Hearing.
CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
Supervisor Keenan called the Regular Board Meeting to order at 7:08 p.m. On the call of the roll the following were present: Supervisor Clarmarie Keenan, Trustees Eric Davis, Margaret Trybus, Ade Onayemi, Michelle Mbekeani-Wiley and Clerk Gregory White. Township Manager Gavin Morgan and Attorney John Garofalo were also present.
APPROVAL OF CONSENT AGENDA
Trustee Davis moved to approve the Consent Agenda, including the Minutes of the May 14, 2019 Regular Board of Trustees Meeting and Township Bills for the period May 11, 2019, through June 14, 2019. Trustee Trybus seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF FY2020 BUDGET ORDINANCE
The Board gave final review to the Tentative Township Budgets for FY2020 as approved at the May 14, 2019 Board Meeting. Trustee Onayemi moved to approve
ORDINANCE NO. 2019-01, A BUDGET AND APPROPRIATION ORDINANCE ADOPTING THE BUDGETS AND CERTIFICATES OF ESTIMATED REVENUES FOR OAK PARK TOWNSHIP, ILLINOIS FOR THE FISCAL YEAR ENDING MARCH 31, 2020, in the following amounts:
Town Fund: $4,451,809
General Assistance Fund 498,827
Community Mental Health Fund 1,784,813
Trustee Davis seconded the motion which passed unanimously on a roll call vote. A copy of the Budget Ordinance is attached to and made a part of these minutes.
TRUSTEE LIAISON APPOINTMENTS
The Board discussed the midterm change of Trustee liaison appointments to Township Boards and Committees, as set by Board policy. After discussion, Board members agreed upon the following assignments, effective July 1, 2019: Trustee Mbekeani-Wiley to the Youth Services Committee; Trustee Trybus to the Community Mental Health Board; Trustee Onayemi to the Senior Citizens Services Committee; and Trustee Davis to the IGOV Committee.
Board members also suggested an Elected Officials of Oak Park Open House and Informational Meeting at the Township in the near future. Manager Morgan agreed to research the event.
APPROVAL OF FINANCE AGREEMENT WITH GOVERNMENTAL ACCOUNTING, INC.
Board members discussed the Finance Agreement proposal with Governmental Accounting Inc., as recommended at the previous meeting. The Township Financial
Advisory Committee has reviewed the proposal and expressed support for it. Trustee Onayemi then moved to approve the Finance Agreement with Governmental
Accounting Inc. for conversion of and training on the Township’s accounting system. Trustee Trybus seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
DISCUSSION OF YOUTH SERVICES REQUEST FOR EXPANSION OF YOUTH SERVICES MENTORING
The Board discussed a memorandum from Youth Services Director Megan Traficano, recommending hiring of a part-time Youth Interventionist, while assigning additional time and duties to current Youth Interventionist Dominique Hickman for expanding the Girls On The Rise Program. This program has received praise from community partners for building a curriculum for helping girls with self-esteem, self-worth, decision making and other valuable life skills. Trustee Trybus stated that District 97 should help fund the program, and more discussion followed. Manager Morgan will meet with Ms. Traficano to continue efforts on the program and report back to the Board.
INSURANCE RENEWAL PROCEDURES
Manager Morgan reported that he is developing a request for proposals for insurance brokers to investigate best choices and coverage for the Township. He commended the current broker, Connor-Gallagher, and insurer, Illinois Counties Risk Management Trust (ICRMT), for its coverage, additional services, and satisfaction to date. Mr. Morgan pointed out that changing brokers would require shifting to another insurer in the beginning.
TOWNSHIP MANAGER’S REPORT
Manager Gavin Morgan reported the following items to the Board:
- Rotary Club has offered the Township the option to have a corporate membership, which would allow for Manager Morgan and Township Directors Pamela Mahn, Lisa DeVivo and Megan Traficano to participate. Board consensus was to choose this option.
- Nacola Magee began her position as Human Resources Coordinator today, and Financial Assistant Maya Carter is celebrating her 15th anniversary with the
- The Cook County Board of Review Appeals period has begun and will run through July 30. Assessor’s staff has hired additional personnel to assist with the large number of inquiries.
- The Township’s new website is almost ready to launch, and improvements continue with the implementation.
- Supervisor Clarmarie Keenan reported the following items to the Board:
- The Township’s security video caught a recent bike thief stealing chained bikes in the Township Parking Lot. Police are using the videos to apprehend the
- A reduction in parking fees in the VOP Garage is being sought. The Township rents spaces for employees parking needs.
- IGOV turnover is expected, and cooperation for transportation of citizens to Farmers Market and 4th of July Fireworks has been developed.
- Board members were encouraged to march in this year’s Independence Day Parade on July 4 in Oak Park.
Trustee Davis moved to adjourn at 8:38 p.m. Trustee Onayemi seconded the motion which passed unanimously.